Join Visit Essex
- Find out more
Felsted is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. The village has links to Lord Riche who founded the public school, The Felsted School, in 1564, and is buried in Holy Cross Church. Lord Riche was an important benefactor of the Felsted church. The school also has links to Oliver Cromwell, who sent his sons there. The valley between Little Dunmow and Felsted was the location for the only sugar beet factory in Essex, which has now been redeveloped for housing. Felsted is linked to Little Dunmow by the Flitch Way Country Park, a disused railway line.