Join Visit Essex
- Find out more
Best known for the UK's third busiest airport, this small historic town dates from Saxon times. 16/17th C. buildings and well-preserved windmill (built 1787). Under the Normans, Stansted passed to the Mountfitchet family who built a timber castle here - the extensive earthworks now home to a reconstructed motte and bailey structure. Other village attractions include the House on the Hill Toy Museum, which its owners claim ""is the largest toy museum in the World"". Located next to Mountfitchet Castle and Norman Village of 1066, both attractions are owned by Alan Goldsmith. The museum opened in 1991 and holds over 80,000 toys, mostly from the 1950s to the 1990s.
Town Centre, Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex, CM24 8
Map reference: TL 510250 Lat: 51.90310 Long: 0.19443