Join Visit Essex
- Find out more
The gardens originally belonged to Mr Sydney Courtauld who donated them to the Braintree town's people in 1888. The original design is very similar to that seen today, where trees and flowers can be enjoyed in peace and quiet, thus anticipating the needs of the modern day.
The Queen Ann style lodge, where the resident gardener lives is situated at the main entrance in St Peter's Road.
At the end of the entrance drive, the park area is surrounded by many mature trees including a blue atlas and a rare lucombe oak. The war memorial is situated to the right of the main path adjacent to Bocking End. The children's play area maintained by Braintree District Council is situated in the park area. The tennis courts and the bandstand mark the boundary of this area, beyond which are the ponds and ornamental flower beds including the John Ray garden.
Income is supplemented by the various fund raising events previously mentioned. The Friends of the gardens, formed in 1996.
|Season Dates||Opening Hours|
|Notes||During the spring-summer-autumn, closing times only vary accordng to the time of the sunset. We close normally one hour before sunset.|
Nearest station : 1 mile (1.6 kms) from Braintree station