Harlow Sculpture Town and the Gibberd Gallery
Sited throughout Harlow is a collection of sculptures of national significance. In the main squares and precincts, in numerous public buildings and at several schools, sculptures by artists, both famous and lesser known, are to be found. Henry Moore's Family Group looks out from the foyer of the Civic Centre on to the Water Gardens where Elisabeth Frink's Boar and Rodin's Eve both stand. Close by, in the town centre, are works by Ralph Brown, F.E.McWilliam and Lynn Chadwick.
The Harlow Art Trust, a voluntary body established in the 1950s, has been acquiring works by up-and-coming sculptors and assisted them by providing a permanent public exhibition of their works in Harlow for nearly 60 years. The "Sculpture in Harlow" catalogue provides a full history of the Harlow Art Trust and its collection. To purchase your copy for £5.00, please contact 01279 446438.
The Gibberd Gallery houses the impressive "Frederick Gibberd Collection of 20th Century British Watercolours and Drawings" as well as staging temporary exhibitions and community displays.
Sir Frederick Gibberd began a private collection of artwork in 1935, formed around three features: each picture had to be by a British artist; the artist had to be living and each picture had to be a watercolour, drawing or print. In 1977, he presented Harlow Council with 10 of these artworks. Before his death in 1984, he donated a further 33 works, resulting in a collection that contains pieces by many of Britain's most influential artists of the period.