Type of Venue

 

Location

 

Facilities

 

Or Venue Name

 
 

image for Group Visits item typeGroup Visits at The Temple and Wanstead Park

Parks

Contact

Lisa Gazeley

0208 5321010

Address

The Temple,
Wanstead,
London,
E11 2LT

Details

Wanstead Park was originally the site of medieval manor houses and later a Tudor mansion, owned at one time by the Earl of Leicester. Wanstead House was rebuilt in 1715 as one of the great Palladian mansions of its day. Extravagant living and bankruptcy caused the family’s downfall in 1822 and the house itself was finally demolished in 1825.

Two Listed buildings both built in the 1760's remain within the Grade II* (Grade ll* means it is an area of more than special interest, warranting every effort to preserve) historic parkland: The Temple and The Grotto which is the ruin of the ornamental boathouse.

Wanstead Park was purchased by the City of London Corporation in 1882 and still contains many interesting historic features including extensive ornamental waterways.

One spectacular feature of Wanstead Park in the spring is the bluebells which can be found in Chalet Wood. Wanstead Park, unlike the rest of Epping Forest, is closed at dusk. There are public toilets available when the Park is open.

The Temple, a historic building with a classical portico, dates from the 1760s. It houses our Forest Centre in the South of Epping Forest and a small shop with guides to Wanstead Park as well as more general information on the Forest and a selection of books and giftware. The Temple was built as a fashionable garden feature by John Child, Earl Tylney, and like the Grotto of similar date, was designed to enhance the elaborate landscaped gardens of Wanstead House. It first appears on a 1777 map labelled as the Pheasant House and was later used as accommodation for Keepers on the estate.

Watch out for the historic 300 year old chestnut trees, the parish church of St Mary the Virgin where the owners of Wanstead Park are buried and the Stables, Basin and site of Wanstead House, now within the private grounds of the Wanstead Golf Club.

There is a refreshment kiosk open at peak times for hot drinks and snacks by Perch Pond. There are public toilets at The Temple (open until dusk, 7 days a week). The ground floor of The Temple is fully accessible, the upper floor is reached by a sloping path and several shallow steps.

Opening details

Open Saturdays and Sundays in Summer. The Temple is also open on Bank Holidays; it is closed on Christmas Day.

Location

Directions

Plan route to The Temple and Wanstead Park using Google mapsPlan route using Google maps

Map reference: TQ 416874  Lat: 51.56770 Long: 0.04166

The Temple and Wanstead Park are within 15 minutes’ walk from Wanstead station (Central Line). There is parking for holders of Disabled car badges alongside The Temple (vehicle access from Warren Drive) only.

Facilities

There is a refreshment kiosk open at peak times for hot drinks and snacks by Perch Pond. There are public toilets at The Temple (open until dusk, 7 days a week). The ground floor of The Temple is fully accessible, the upper floor is reached by a sloping path and several shallow steps.