Coach parties are always welcome, provided that prior arrangements are made. Due to demand it is advisable to make a booking well in advance for either a morning (9am-1pm) or an afternoon (1-4.30pm) booking. We can offer a limited number of guided tours to the gardens, for up to 30 persons, by an experienced member of staff . There is a fee of £50 for a full tour lasting around an hour. The short tour lasts around half an hour with a fee of £25.00.
We regret we cannot offer tours on Saturdays. Both tours cover a brief introduction to the history of the Gardens and the development of each individual area. If your group has an interest in a certain area or plant do let us know, tour guides are very willing to adapt the presentation to your interests. All bookings can be confirmed on receipt of a £50 deposit and receipt of a completed booking form. The deposit is fully refundable if your booking is cancelled a month before your visit. If you are booking for a coach company please contact us for details on how we can accept your deposit.
Admission fee is £6.95 per person or £6.45 per person for groups of 25 or more. It will speed entry to the Gardens if the organizer collects the entry fees in advance and settles for the entire group, otherwise some queuing will be unavoidable. A Guide to the Garden and the Beth Chatto Price list are available.
The Gardens are situated just east of the village of Elmstead Market on the A133 which is the Colchester to Clacton road. If travelling on the A12 continue past Colchester, take the A120 to Harwich and then the A133 turn-off for Clacton and Elmstead Market. Follow the signs for Elmstead Market. We are on the left hand side as you enter the village.
Our modern Tea Room is light and airy and over looks the Gravel Garden and Plant Nursery. Open during the day they sell a wide range of drinks, light lunches and home made cakes, including daily speacials. Although meals and tables cannot be booked in advance please do let us know if your group will be using the Tea Room. We can then ensure we are prepared for the groups arrival.
Picnicking is not allowed in the gardens but you are welcome to bring a picnic to eat in the grassed car park if you wish.
Toilet facilities are available including one for the disabled.
It is much easier for us to help you and also less frustrating for everyone if plant purchases are made well before it is time for you to go, avoiding long queues and delayed departures.
If you require any other information please do not hesitate to contact the office.
CONTACT THE OFFICE ON TEL 01206 822007 or email email@example.com
Parking facilities for up to five coaches
Drop-off is at the entrance to the garde
Free tea/coffee cake for drivers
Events at this Venue
- Baby changing facilities
- Coach parties accepted
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for groups
- Gift shop
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Public toilets
- Regional Tourist Board Member
- Welcome Host
- Accepts groups
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Designated parking for guests with disabilities
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- The surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance:
- is gravel
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- The route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Is flat (i.e. without steps)
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift:
- From the entrance to reception / ticket area
- To a specially adapted public toilet suitable for wheelchair users
- To the gift shop
- Contrast markings on clear surfaces such as glass doors
- Baby changing facilities
- Seating available for visitors with limited mobility
- Effective lighting for visually impaired visitors
- Routes/pathways suitable for wheelchair users or visitors with limited mobility
- Audible alarm system
- Ramp to entrance
- Handrail by ramp
- Entrance is well lit
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to cafeteria
- Restaurant / cafe provide meals for visitors with special dietary requirements:
- Sugar free (diabetic)
- Gluten free (coeliacs)
- Lactose free (dairy free)
- Seating suitable for wheelchair users, ie moveable and good height for person sitting in a wheelchair
- High chairs for children