Borley is situated in the north of our district on the borders of Suffolk. This small village made world news in 1929, when tales of ghosts at Borley Rectory were told in the 'Daily Mirror'. The most popular story to the background of Borley was that in 1362 Benedictine Monks built a monastery on the site which would later hold the rectory. Legend told of a nun from the Bures convent, 7 miles southeast of Borley falling in love with a monk from the monastery. They had decided to elope to be together, but the elders discovered their plans. A friend of the monk was to drive a carriage to help them escape. On the fateful night they were captured by the elders. The coachman was beheaded, the monk hanged and the nun was bricked up alive in the walls of the vaults beneath the rectory. Their ghosts have haunted the site ever since. Borley Rectory soon gained the reputation as the most 'haunted house in England', but unfortunately was burnt down on the 27th February 1939 and there is no longer a rectory at this site. Visitors often remark on how peaceful and tranquil the villages of Borley and Borley Green are. Visit the Borley Smokery to see traditional methods of smoking still in use.