Book Tickets Online
A circular route that takes in the beauty of Cornmill Meadows and picturesque Tree Park. This trail helps you to discover the many species of dragonfly that inhabit this beautiful sanctuary.
Distance 2 miles Terrain: Grass pathways throughout the route with several bridges
- Exit the car park at the dragonfly information panel, entering the Tree Park.
- Turn right and then left along the grass pathway heading in a westerly direction, crossing the Meridian Line.
- Turn right at Cornmill Stream and continue heading north, keeping the stream on your left.
- Cross over the black metal bridge at the weir, passing a second information panel.
- Continue along the pathway, following the Old River Lee in a westerly direction, bearing to the left to head south.
- At the third information panel, proceed through the kissing gate and over a wooden bridge.
- Continue on the pathway passing a path on the left.
- Proceed south alongside the river and the Royal Gunpowder Mills site on the right, cross over the large bridge and onto a footbridge over the outlet sluice.
- Turn left before the kissing gate and follow the pathway east, keeping the road on the right.
- Continue through a kissing gate.
- Proceed along the pathway, keeping the fence line on the left. (A fourth information panel is a short diversion from the route - turn left through a second kissing gate and the panel is located opposite the Abbey Fish Ponds).
- Continue over a concrete bridge crossing the Cornmill Stream and proceed along the middle path, turning left onto the Meridian Line.
- Proceed across a wooden footbridge and over a second ditch.
- Continue north, and turn right at the crossroad junction.
- Turn left through an avenue of poplar trees, turning right into the car park.
Waltham Cross train station - 20 minute walk.
Points of Interest: Otter information panels and Bittern Information Point. Lee Valley Park Farms are a short detour from the route.
Terrain: Grass pathways throughout the route with several bridges.
Toilets: Waltham Abbey town, opposite Abbey Church - 5 minutes from route
Refreshments: Waltham Abbey town centre - 5 minutes from route
- Length of route (miles) - 2 (3.2km)