Great Baddow is an urban village and one of the largest villages in England with over 13,000 residents. There are a number of amenities including great pubs, fantastic schools, St Mary’s Church and the Vineyards shopping centre.
The popular Russells Restaurant is situated in a magnificent timbered Grade II-listed tithe barn. The barn has been dated by experts as being originally built in 1372, making it one of the oldest surviving buildings in the Chelmsford area.
There is also a community centre, parks and various sports facilities like football pitches, tennis and basketball courts.
The Baddow Antiques Centre has been trading for over 40 years and just over the road, Chelmsford’s very own brewery opened in 2017 at Brewery Fields, the site of the original brewery in Great Baddow in the 1800s.
In most villages in Essex, the most easily visible landmark is the church spire – but not in Great Baddow. For miles all around, the defining sight of Baddow is the Great Baddow Mast, the remains of Britain’s early warning defence network from WW2. A series of masts formed a line along the British coast in what was called the “Chain Home” and these detected enemy aircraft as they approached across the North Sea and English Channel.
Great Baddow has good transport links with buses that take you to the city centre.