Book Tickets Online
Due to the impact of Covid-19, the Museum will remain closed through December & January.
We will re-open to the public on Wednesday 3rd February 2021.
Housed in a former Water Pumping Station, the Museum contains a fascinating collection of power-related exhibits that will interest the young and the not so young, with many working examples of various power sources, machinery, equipment and tools. The most important exhibit is the 'Lilleshall' Triple Expansion Steam Pumping Engine, named 'Marshall' which is now back on steam after 50 years.
On non-event days there is a small charge for entry to the museum, however visitors can explore the seven acres of grounds and riverside walks for free. Visitors can climb the observation platform or choose from an extensive selection of refreshments and treats for every age in the relaxing Tea Room.
Outside in the grounds, more attractions can be found including a model village, a picnic area and the ever-popular miniature railway providing rides at selective events. There is plenty to do and see for adults and children alike at the Museum of Power.
In 2013 the museum was awarded “Engineering Heritage Listed Status” by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, for it's work in preserving 'Marshall'.
Prices (excluding special events, Lilleshall Steam Days and train rides)
Concessions: Senior citizens and students (the latter on production of a current student ID card): £5.00;
Children 5 to 15 inclusive £2:50;
Children 4 and under: FREE
Details of prices for special events and Lilleshall Steam Days are as shown on the Events page.
Please note there are reductions for groups of ten or more. In addition evening group visits can be arranged available subject to minimum charge of £50. Please contact the Museum Manager for details.
On non-event days entrance to the grounds and tearoom is FREE, however a Museum entry charge applies as shown above.
On days when the miniature railway is running additional charges apply for rides, currently £1 per train ride or six rides for £5.
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- Wheelchairs available
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Baby changing facilities
- Children welcome
- 2m distancing in place
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Deep cleaning between visitors
- Face mask essential (provided)
- Face masks available for visitors
- Face masks required for staff in public areas
- Floors clearly marked for social distancing
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Hygiene screens in place
- One way system
- Online booking possible - Online booking for small workshops taking place and some events (post Covid-19)
- Open now
- Outside seating
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Coach parking
- Education/study area
- Facilities for Coach Driver
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
- Guided tours for groups
- Typical visit duration - 2-3 hours
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Business support
- Facilities for conferencing
- Facilities for corporate hospitality
- Grounds for outdoor activities
- Mobile phone coverage
- Wedding receptions
- Free Parking
- Dogs Accepted
- Gift shop
- Onsite Catering
- Public toilets
- Smoking not allowed
- WiFi or internet access
- Welcome Host
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
- Single sex groups welcomed
Map & Directions
By Road: From A12, Junction 20a/b (Hatfield Peverel). Follow B1129 for 3 miles. Car park on right.
From Maldon follow signs for A12 Colchester, Museum is approx. 1 mile from Heybridge bypass roundabout. By Public transport:
Public Transport Directions
By Public Transport: Timetables and information can be accessed via the public transport information partnership Traveline South East. Traveline allows you to plan journeys from and to a postcode, postal address, town or village, named station or stop, or point of interest. Call 0871 200 2233 to speak to an operator and plan your journey, or log onto www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk and simply type in where you are travelling from and to for a detailed trip summary. First Essex 73 bus service which runs between Maldon and Chelmsford. Accessible by Public Transport: Hatfield Peverel station is 3 miles away.