Book Tickets Online
Sailing Barges ‘Thistle’ built in 1895 and ‘Hydrogen’ built 1906 were once part of the East Coast's traditional fleet of cargo vessels; two of over 2,000 barges then. Today only a handful survive. A gentle cruise on one of these vessels allows you to enjoy the beautiful and peaceful rivers of the East Coast in a memorable and interesting way. Tickets limited. Book online via website or by phone
Join us for one of our public cruises or be part of a group booking, catering for up to 50 people.
We also offer weekend breaks for groups of up to 12 people. Escape your world and relax in ours!
River cruises onboard our fleet of historic Thames Barges for individuals and groups. 2 hour cruises, day sails, weekends away and static parties.
The Barge Tearooms
Step aboard our winter tearoom on board a vintage sailing barge on Maldon's Hythe Quay for a memorable tearoom experience and help support our maritime heritage.
Two Island River Cruise
Join at Maldon Quay for a two hour cruise, past Northea Island to Osea Island before returning.
Orwell River Cruise
A Three or four hour Cruise from Ipswich to the mouth of the river and back.
Suffolk Rivers Cruise
A relaxing Day sail exploring the Rivers Orwell and Stour
Sorry disabled access restricted - please contact us for further guidance.
Private Hire - depends on location, duration etc - please ring office.
Public trips - full programme with prices on our website.
- Disabled access
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Children welcome
- 1m distancing in place - On deck - you are given a designated seating area for arrival
- 2m distancing in place - For cooler months where more time may be spent below decks, a designated are will be allocated to your bubble.
- Advance booking essential
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place - Read the "Covid 19 " update page on our website
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place - Only if we have to cancel. If you have to cancel, our standard terms apply.
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Deep cleaning between visitors
- Face mask essential (not provided)
- Face masks required for staff in public areas
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Hygiene screens in place - On Hydrogen which has formal table seating.
- One way system
- Online booking possible
- Open now - Subject to lockdown restrictions.
- Outside seating
- Queuing system
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Facilities for groups
- Guided tours for groups
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Facilities for conferencing
- Facilities for corporate hospitality
- Sole use of venue
- Wedding receptions
- Parking with charge
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs) - We have details of two local dog sitters
- Public toilets
- Typical duration of route - Choose between a two hour "Two Island" cruise, or a full 11 hour "Secrets of the Blackwater" day sail.
- Regional Tourist Board Member
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
Map & Directions
Maldon Quay - from A12 South take A414 for Danbury and Maldon and follow into Maldon. Follow signs for town Centre and come down High Street. At bottom of high street, take left fork down Church Street to Quay. Parking at bottom of High Street in Edward Bright Close (Marked "P-Hythe Quay". From A12 North take exit for Witham and follow signs to Maldon.
Public Transport Directions
The nearest railway station is Witham, which is 7 miles away.