Book Tickets Online
Built in 1818 to replace the earlier wooden structures dating from the late 17th century. It is now the towns’ Maritime Museum.
There have been three pairs of lighthouses through the ages, from the original wooden pair, which no longer exist, then the brick built ones that still stand in Harwich, to the cast iron ones that still stand on Dovercourt Seafront. None of these existing lighthouses are used for navigation purposes today. The brick lighthouses in Harwich were built in 1818 under the supervision of John Rennie Senior to replace earlier wooden ones. They belonged to General Rebow who became very rich by charging 1d per ton light duties on all cargoes coming into the port. In1836 Trinity House (TH) acquired the Harwich Lights from General Rebow for £31,730, there being 12 years and 5 days remaining of his lease. It is suspected that Rebow had become aware of the changing course of the channel.