Book Tickets Online
A circular river route around Cornmill Meadows. Experience and discover the wealth of wildlife that feed on the wetland meadows.
- From Waltham Abbey Gardens car park follow the pathway into the gardens towards the building.
- At the pavement sign at the end of the railings of the Parish Office, turn right and head north crossing the wooden bridge over Cornmill Stream.
- Follow the path through the underpass and into Cornmill Meadows.
- Bear to the right along the fence line until you reach the kissing gate.
- Proceed through the gate, passing an information panel and Abbey Fish Ponds.
- Continue on the grass path alongside the river heading north, passing the inlet sluice.
- Proceed through the kissing gate and continue on the pathway past an information panel.
- From the weir, continue along the pathway, following the Old River Lee in a westerly direction, bearing to the left to head south.
- At the third information panel, proceed through the kissing gate and over a wooden bridge.
- Continue on the pathway passing a path on the left (Wake Hide is a short diversion along this pathway).
- Proceed south alongside the river and the Royal Gunpowder Mills site on the right, crossing over the large bridge and onto a footbridge over the outlet sluice.
- Turn left before the kissing gate and follow the pathway east, keeping the road on the right.
- Continue through a kissing gate and turn right, retracing the route through the underpass returning into Waltham Abbey Gardens and car park.
Points of interest: Waltham Abbey Gardens, dragonfly information panels (dragonflies best seen between May - October) and Royal Gunpowder Mills.
Terrain: Grass pathways throughout the route with several bridges.
Toilets: Waltham Abbey town, opposite Abbey Church - 2 minutes from route.
Refreshments: Waltham Abbey town centre - 2 minutes from route.
- Length of route (miles) - 2
Map & Directions
Parking at Waltham Abbey
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station: Waltham Cross train station - 15 minute walk.