Piglets is a unique multi-award winning adult stay (winner of 'Best B&B and Guest House of the Year' 2023 at VisitEngland Excellence Awards and three time Trip Advisor Travellers Choice Award for 2021, 2022 and 2023) - like staying in the country for a few days amongst friends. Although technically classed as a B&B, we are so much more than that and many have deemed us better than many a five-star hotel but with a personal touch, only an owner-run establishment can offer. So there are five super king en-suite bedrooms, some with walk-in wet rooms and others with luxury power shower/baths. All the usual in-room accessories are provided from tea/coffee making facilities, to a fridge, iron and ironing board, super fast hairdryer, large flat screen smart TVs, air conditioning and even movement-sensitive night lights to guide one to the loo without waking one's partner.
A full and extensive cooked-to-order 'slow' breakfast is on offer with sumptuous smoked salmon cut sashimi style, to eggs Benedict, Florentine and Royal, Arbroath smokies, pancakes and waffles, bagels, pastries hoe made granola, marmalades and jams, local honey, a full English showcasing local and Great Taste award-winningproduce, omelettes chorizo hash and of course plenty of choice for our vegan and vegetarian guests and to start your morning off with a zing, aside from the award-winning teas and coffees, we off complimentary bloody Mary's.
With Wimbish having more footpaths than any other Essex parish, there are some great walks just from our door - just pop into our boot room where you can borrow wellies, umbrellas and extensive picture maps to find a route that suits. If however, relaxing is more your thing, then we have a beautiful Mediterranean-style patio which catches the afternoon sun which flows into the evening for al-fresco dining or for cocktail hour. Or one can laze under a parasol on a sun lounger around our natural eco-swimming pond, or play Petanque on our competition-size piste or Croquet towards our orchard.
If the weather is inclement then we still have plenty to keep one amused...our full-size snooker or table tennis tables are the focal point of our games room which also includes Foosball and darts and is adjacent to our infra-red sauna. If something more sedate is required, we have luxury board games in our guest lounge, from backgammon, chess, Scrabble and cards as well as jigsaws available.
Available throughout your stay is our honour bar which is stocked with over 20 house wines, 60+ gins, beers, lagers, ciders and soft drinks as well as local ice creams, crisps and other snacks.
In the evenings we comfort food, home-cooked, from pizzas to pastas, to savoury small plates and puddings (our menus vary depending on the season).
If all the above is not enough, we are nestled between Thaxted and Saffron Walden, both a 10 minute drive away and Audley End House and Duxford Imperial War museum just a little further on. Cambridge is around 35 minutes by car.
Room prices vary per season. Mid season: £190.00 - £205.00; high season £200.00 - £215.00.
- Accessible Rooms - We have 2 ground floor rooms, Widdington and Hempstead which are just off our car park and cars can be brought right up to the door for unloading passengers or luggage. Hempstead also had French doors opening direct onto swimming pond decking.
- Disabled facilities - In ground floor bedrooms, Widdington and Hempstead, we have comfort height WCs and a seat can be placed in the shower area of the wet-room. However, our rooms are not really suitable for wheelchair users, more for guests with slight mobility issues. Plus our dining room and guest lounges do have some steps and stair to negotiate.
- Cooked Breakfast
- Evening meals - We have a summer and winter menu of home cooked food to compliment our honour bar. Orders need to be made by noon for evening service.
- Licenced (table or bar) - We have an extensive honour bar with over 20 house wines, plus a fine wine list. Beers, lagers and ciders along with mixers and soft drinks in our cooler. Over 60 artisan gins in our gin library along with other spirits and pre-made cocktails are on offer. Ice creams, crisps, nuts and sweets are also available.
- Special diets available - On booking please advise any special dietary requirements you may have or food allergies and we will endeavour to meet your requirements accordingly.
- Vegetarian diet available - We have vegetarian items on our menus as standard. If you are a vegan, please advise on booking so that we can be sure we have in stock vegan spreads and cooking items to meet your requirements.
- Free WIFI
- Games room onsite - We have an extensive table games room offering full-size snooker, table tennis, Foosball and darts. In our guest lounge we have luxury board games of chess, backgammon and Scrabble plus a selection of jigsaws on request and playing cards. Outside there is a competition size Péntanque piste and croquet lawn and our eco natural swimming pond. Gym in separate building.
- Gym on site - Our gym has a rowing machine, upright bike, cross-trainer, free weights, boxing punch bag, yoga mats and all usual accessories. It also has an Alexa, mini fridge with bottled water, towels and a TV. There is also A/c/heating and Wi-Fi connectivity. We have a bike shed for you to store your precious bikes and loads of great walks and runs right outside our door.
- Sauna onsite - We have a infra-red sauna which can be booked for exclusive private use for two for a small fee, during your stay. It is advisable that you book this when you make your reservation. It is to be noted that infra-red heat is absorbed by the body much better than the old water and steam saunas of the past and therefore the health benefits are better.
- Secure cycle storage - A locked bike shed is provided.
- Snooker/billiards/pool onsite - We have an extensive table games room offering full-size snooker, table tennis, Foosball and darts. In our guest lounge we have luxury board games of chess, backgammon and Scrabble plus a selection of jigsaws on request and playing cards. Outside there is a competition size Péntanque piste and a Croquet lawn and our eco natural swimming pond.
- Spa Facilities
- Spa/Swimming On Site - In addition to our infra-red sauna, we have a visiting masseuse and a reflexologist (both of whom can be booked independently - please ask for details). Our eco natural swimming pool is very popular and is exclusive to guests at Piglets. To swim in natural chemical free water surrounded by plants is a delight.
- Swimming pool - outdoor onsite - Our eco natural swimming pool is very popular and is exclusive to guests at Piglets. To swim in natural chemical free water amongst vegetation is a delight.
- Free Parking - We have an extensive car park with each room having a dedicated parking space.
- Free Parking on Site - We have an extensive car park with each room having a dedicated parking space.
- Private parking - We have an extensive car park with each room having a dedicated parking space.
- Air conditioning - We have A/C in all bedrooms and many of the public areas - these can also provide heat in the winter months.
Map & Directions
When using a SatNav, our post code CB10 2XJ actually is located half a mile past us, so look out for a blue building with a wooden clad extension on the right when coming from Tye Green Wimbish and an old iron plough in the grass. If using three words, our address is 'requires.tequila.gurgling' .
Public Transport Directions
We are 6 miles from Newport railway station and 7.5 miles to Audley End station on the Liverpool Street to Cambridge line. There are no buses or Uber but a local taxi list can be found on our website. We also have a London cabbie who can bring London guests direct from their home to Piglets (details of his contact details are available on request, price is to be negotiated with him directly). There is plenty of parking on site.