Piglets is a unique multi-award winning adult stay - like staying in the country for a few days amongst friends. Although technically classed as a B&B, we are so much more than that and many have deemed us better than many a five-star hotel but with a personal touch, only an owner-run establishment can offer. So there are five super king en-suite bedrooms, some with walk-in wet rooms and others with luxury power shower/baths. All the usual in-room accessories are provided from tea/coffee making facilities, to a fridge, iron and ironing board, super fast hairdryer, large flat screen smart TVs, air conditioning and even movement-sensitive night lights to guide one to the loo without waking one's partner.
A full and extensive cooked-to-order 'slow' breakfast is on offer with sumptuous smoked salmon cut sashimi style, to eggs Benedict, Florentine and Royal, Arbroath smokies, pancakes and waffles, bagels, pastries hoe made granola, marmalades and jams, local honey, a full English showcasing local and Great Taste award-winningproduce, omelettes chorizo hash and of course plenty of choice for our vegan and vegetarian guests and to start your morning off with a zing, aside from the award-winning teas and coffees, we off complimentary bloody Mary's.
With Wimbish having more footpaths than any other Essex parish, there are some great walks just from our door - just pop into our boot room where you can borrow wellies, umbrellas and extensive picture maps to find a route that suits. If however, relaxing is more your thing, then we have a beautiful Mediterranean-style patio which catches the afternoon sun which flows into the evening for al-fresco dining or for cocktail hour. Or one can laze under a parasol on a sun lounger around our natural eco-swimming pond, or play Petanque on our competition-size piste or Croquet towards our orchard.
If the weather is inclement then we still have plenty to keep one amused...our full-size snooker or table tennis tables are the focal point of our games room which also includes Foosball and darts and is adjacent to our infra-red sauna. If something more sedate is required, we have luxury board games in our guest lounge, from backgammon, chess, Scrabble and cards as well as jigsaws available.
Available throughout your stay is our honour bar which is stocked with over 20 house wines, 60+ gins, beers, lagers, ciders and soft drinks as well as local ice creams, crisps and other snacks.
In the evenings we comfort food, home-cooked, from pizzas to pastas, to savoury small plates and puddings (our menus vary depending on the season).
If all the above is not enough, we are nestled between Thaxted and Saffron Walden, both a 10 minute drive away and Audley End House and Duxford Imperial War museum just a little further on. Cambridge is around 35 minutes by car.
- Accessible Rooms - We have 2 ground floor rooms, Widdington and Hempstead which are just off our car park and cars can be brought right up to the door for unloading passengers or luggage. Hempstead also had French doors opening direct onto swimming pond decking.
- Coach Parties Not Accepted
- Disabled facilities - In ground floor bedrooms, Widdington and Hempstead, we have comfort height WCs and a seat can be placed in the shower area of the wet-room. However, our rooms are not really suitable for wheelchair users, more for guests with slight mobility issues. Plus our dining room and guest lounges do have some steps and stair to negotiate.
- Wet rooms
Booking & Payment Details
- Advance booking essential - A 25% room deposit is required on booking.
- American Express accepted
- Contactless Payment Accepted
- Online Booking Possible
- Visa/Mastercard/Switch accepted
- Cooked Breakfast
- Evening meals - We have a summer and winter menu of home cooked food to compliment our honour bar. Orders need to be made by noon for evening service.
- Licenced (table or bar) - We have an extensive honour bar with over 20 house wines, plus a fine wine list. Beers, lagers and ciders along with mixers and soft drinks in our cooler. Over 60 artisan gins in our gin library along with other spirits and pre-made cocktails are on offer. Ice creams, crisps, nuts and sweets are also available.
- Special diets available - On booking please advise any special dietary requirements you may have or food allergies and we will endeavour to meet your requirements accordingly.
- Vegetarian diet available - We have vegetarian items on our menus as standard. If you are a vegan, please advise on booking so that we can be sure we have in stock vegan spreads and cooking items to meet your requirements.
- Central heating - Some of our rooms have underfloor heating while others have radiators. There are heated towel rails in all bathrooms and all rooms have A/C units which also can deliver heat in the colder months of the year.
- Ironing facilities - There is an iron and ironing board in all bedrooms as standard.
- Free WIFI
- Games room onsite - We have an extensive table games room offering full-size snooker, table tennis, Foosball and darts. In our guest lounge we have luxury board games of chess, backgammon and Scrabble plus a selection of jigsaws on request and playing cards. Outside there is a competition size Péntanque piste and croquet lawn and our eco natural swimming pond. Gym in separate building.
- Gym on site - Our gym has a rowing machine, upright bike, cross-trainer, free weights, boxing punch bag, yoga mats and all usual accessories. It also has an Alexa, mini fridge with bottled water, towels and a TV. There is also A/c/heating and Wi-Fi connectivity. We have a bike shed for you to store your precious bikes and loads of great walks and runs right outside our door.
- Sauna onsite - We have a infra-red sauna which can be booked for exclusive private use for two for a small fee, during your stay. It is advisable that you book this when you make your reservation. It is to be noted that infra-red heat is absorbed by the body much better than the old water and steam saunas of the past and therefore the health benefits are better.
- Secure cycle storage - A locked bike shed is provided.
- Snooker/billiards/pool onsite - We have an extensive table games room offering full-size snooker, table tennis, Foosball and darts. In our guest lounge we have luxury board games of chess, backgammon and Scrabble plus a selection of jigsaws on request and playing cards. Outside there is a competition size Péntanque piste and a Croquet lawn and our eco natural swimming pond.
- Spa Facilities
- Spa/Swimming On Site - In addition to our infra-red sauna, we have a visiting masseuse and a reflexologist (both of whom can be booked independently - please ask for details). Our eco natural swimming pool is very popular and is exclusive to guests at Piglets. To swim in natural chemical free water surrounded by plants is a delight.
- Swimming pool - outdoor onsite - Our eco natural swimming pool is very popular and is exclusive to guests at Piglets. To swim in natural chemical free water amongst vegetation is a delight.
Linen & Bedding
- Towels Provided - Bathroom towels and robes are provided. Swimming towels on request (we will dry these for guests for multiple use during their stay).
- Sleeps up to 2 - All our rooms have super-king size beds and three of these can be extended to 7 foot for a once only fee but advance notice is required when booking.
- Free Parking - We have an extensive car park with each room having a dedicated parking space.
- Free Parking on Site - We have an extensive car park with each room having a dedicated parking space.
- Private parking - We have an extensive car park with each room having a dedicated parking space.
- Air conditioning - We have A/C in all bedrooms and many of the public areas - these can also provide heat in the winter months.
- Designated smoking area - Smoking is not permitted indoors anywhere on the property except for in our Havana Cabana gazebo where there is a radio, magazines and velvet cushioned seating. There is also an outdoor dedicated smoking area located at our French patio overlooking our Péntanque piste and Croquet lawn.
- Dogs/pets NOT accepted - We have our own dogs and therefore we feel it would not be fair to other guests if they were upset by other pets visiting their home, therefore regretfully pets are not allowed on the premises however lovely and well behaved they may be.
- Enclosed Garden
- Lounge for residents' use - There is an indoor guest lounge with board games and books next to our honour bar. A TV lounge area and three outside patio areas; our Mediterranean patio for evening al fresco dining and daytime relaxation, a decking area with sun lounges around our eco natural swimming pond and our French patio (where one can smoke) and also view our Péntanque piste or Croquet lawn.
- Television available - All rooms have large flat screen smart TVs with Netflix, prime and Freeview plus there is a TV lounge for those preferring to watch TV in a lounge setting rather than in their bedroom.
- WiFi or internet access - We have super fast broadband (900mb coming into the property) in all public areas (inside and out) and of course in all bedrooms.
- Wild Flower Garden
- Bath - Three of our bedrooms: Radwinter, Ashdon and Hempstead have luxury shower baths, fully tiled and with thermostats that allow one to set the temperature throughout one's stay. Toiletries and towels are provided. Motion sensitive lights are placed throughout the bedroom and bathroom to provide low level lighting guide for night time bathroom visits.
- Ground floor bedroom - We have three ground floor bedrooms - Radwinter, Widdington and Hempstead. The latter two have direct access to our car park and cars can drop off at the bedroom door before parking in their dedicated space in the car park.
- Hairdryer - All rooms have a high speed hairdryer with an extra long lead.
- Private facilities - All bedrooms have en-suite bathrooms or shower wet-rooms. There is also an additional WC in the bar to save one having to return to one's room.
- Radio - All rooms have DAB radios with Bluetooth technology to allow one to play one's own tunes through the device. There is also a USB charging in the back of the radio plus 4 other USB charging points in the bedroom.
- Satellite TV - All rooms have large flat screen smart TVs with Netflix, prime and Freeview plus there is a TV lounge for those preferring to watch TV in a lounge setting rather than in their bedroom.
- Scenic view - Our rooms either look over our Mediterranean patio, our eco natural swimming pond or over our neighbouring fields.
- Shower - All our rooms have power rainfall showers with thermostatic controls which can be set for the duration of one's stay.
- Super King-Size Beds - All our bedrooms have super-king beds and three can be extended to 7 ft if required by prior arrangement when booking and the payment of a one-off fee. Hypoallergenic pillows and Egyptian cotton sheets are provided. Two bedrooms have leather TV beds.
- Tea/coffee making in bedrooms - Each room has a mini fridge with filtered water and fresh milk provided daily. A Lavazza coffee machine is provided along with a selection of various pods and Birchall tea bags for the room kettle.
- Television - All rooms have large flat screen smart TVs with Netflix, prime and Freeview plus there is a TV lounge for those preferring to watch TV in a lounge setting rather than in their bedroom.
- Garden - in addition to our Mediterranean style patio which has many plant and flower beds we have a grassed side garden, Croquet lawn and orchard plus a vegetable garden with our free range chickens.
- Adult Exclusive
- Business Stays - If you are looking for a more individual and homely stay but with 5 star facilities, great super fast WiFi and plenty of space where one can work away from others. Piglets is the place for you. We have a gym and other fitness facilities to keep one's mental and physical well-being in check,
- Coach Parties Not Accepted
- Couples - Piglets specialises in providing an environment in which grown ups can relax away from the rigours of daily life and family. Good food and wine and a chilled environment set in beautiful countryside with plenty of things to do - many guests just stay at Piglets and unwind and enjoy time together and meeting likeminded new people or not as the case may be.
- Dark Skies / Stargazing - Piglets evenings are devoid of light pollution and our Essex high skies come into their own.
- Eco-Friendly - Whilst the focal point of our eco facilities is our stunning natural swimming pond, we also try and produce as much of our food supplies as possible from an extensive vegetable garden, fruit cages, greenhouse and apple orchard. We have free range chickens and an electric scooter is used whenever possible to procure more supplies from local markets and artesian suppliers reducing our carbon footprint as much as possible. LED lighting and air source heat pumps are used throughout the property. We use only natural products for cleaning the rooms.
- Off the Beaten Track - Piglets is surrounded by beautiful countryside with Wimbish, our village, having more walks than any other parish in Essex. Within 10 miles the counties of Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Suffolk can be accessed and historic ancient market towns of Thaxted and Saffron Walden are just 10 minutes away and the stately home of Audley End House is a couple of minutes more. The imperial war museum at Duxford is just half an hour away and the dreaming spires of Cambridge just 10 minutes more.
- Single sex groups NOT accepted - No hen or stag parties accepted nor groups of 4 or more unless by prior arrangement. 'Disguised' group bookings will be ejected without refund.
Map & Directions
When using a SatNav, our post code CB10 2XJ actually is located half a mile past us, so look out for a blue building with a wooden clad extension on the right when coming from Tye Green Wimbish and an old iron plough in the grass. If using three words, our address is 'requires.tequila.gurgling' .
Public Transport Directions
We are 6 miles from Newport railway station and 7.5 miles to Audley End station on the Liverpool Street to Cambridge line. There are no buses or Uber but a local taxi list can be found on our website. We also have a London cabbie who can bring London guests direct from their home to Piglets (details of his contact details are available on request, price is to be negotiated with him directly). There is plenty of parking on site.