The Lordship offers home-made cakes, freshly made lunches and a substantial ‘specials’ menu, created from fresh and appealing ingredients. On warm summer days the patio is the perfect place to relax and unwind, just sit back and enjoy a friendly and efficient service.
The tea room is a comfy retreat for those busy mums who have an hour or so free to catch up with friends. Alongside comfortable surroundings and excellent food, the tea room also stocks a some of your favourite ‘Tiptree’ conserves and gin liqueurs.
Writtle: the tea room now stand on the site of a cattle shed and milking parlour. The tea room is in the grounds of Writtle Agricultural College, established in 1893 and now simply Writtle College, part of Essex University. The building was restored and became a 'Tiptree' tea room in 2011.
Coach parties must book
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Children welcome
- 2m distancing in place
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- Currently closed - We would like to thank all our customers for their support through this challenging year. It is with great sadness that, following the latest government advice, we have now taken the decision to close all of our Tiptree Tea Rooms for dining in and takeaway and shops from Thursday, 5th November. We believe that it is in the best interests of our staff and customers to remain closed until it is once again safe to open. We can’t wait to welcome you back to our Tiptree Tea Rooms once we are able to. The smell of freshly baked scones will fill the air and our friendly staff will be here to greet you with a big smile and a nice cup of tea.
- Face mask essential (not provided)
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Hygiene screens in place
- Outside seating
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
- Queuing system
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Takeaway available
- Facilities for groups
- Free Parking
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Gift shop
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
Map & Directions
Head west on Rainsford Road toward School View Road. At the roundabout take the 1st exit, tea room is on the left.The nearest railway station is Chelmsford, which is 3 miles away.