Book Tickets Online
Bicycle ride around Manningtree, Harwich, Frinton, Walton, Clacton, Great Bentley and Brightlingsea
Distance: 52 miles.
Route: Starts from Manningtree, finishing in Brightlingsea.
Start: Manningtree Sports Centre, Colchester Road, Lawford CO11 2BN. Parking is available.
Finish: Brightlingsea Sports Centre, Church Road CO7 0QL. Parking is available.
1. From Manningtree Sports Centre turn left then at the bottom of the hill (0.5 miles) turn right to ride along Manningtree High Street. Continue ahead, passing Mistley Towers (1.25 miles).
2. Stay on the road to Bradfield and at the Strangers Home public house (3.45 miles) turn left for Wrabness.
3. Continue ahead for Harwich, passing Spinnels Farm (4.8 miles). Follow the road into Ramsey and go straight over the roundabout (8.55 miles) heading for Dovercourt.
4. Follow the road, crossing the next three mini-roundabouts. After passing All Saints Church, turn left into Clarkes Road (10.28 miles) and left again at the end.
5. When you reach the bridge, cross the road and go down the slope on the opposite side, passing the graveyard entrance on your left at the bottom. Go through the wooden posts and follow the North Sea Cycle Route to Dovercourt train station.
6. Pass the station, turning left next to the footbridge, go through the metal barriers into Grafton Road.
7. Continue into Fernlea Road, at the cross roads turn left to go over the railway crossing. Quickly turn right into Albert Street and continue along to Albemarle Street. At the end, next to Haven House turn right.
8. Follow the road going straight over the mini-roundabout and passing Trinity House. This is an idea stopping point, with refreshments at the Pier Hotel or on the Ha’penny Pier.
9. Continue round to the right, passing Harwich Dock into Kings Quay Street and go straight ahead to pass the Electric Palace. Turn immediately left and then right.
10. At the car park turn left and go up the slope to join the promenade. With the sea on your left, head towards the lighthouse. Continue ahead passing Stone Pier and the high lighthouse.
11. Turn right next to the metal blue flag post to ride past Dovercourt Swimming Pool on your left (15.3 miles). Continue ahead to the junction and turn left along Wick Lane. Carry on along Low Road, following the National Cycle Network to a mini roundabout at the top of the hill (16.7 miles).
12. Turn left at the roundabout and continue on the B1414, passing The Cherry Tree public house (18.1 miles), Great Oakley School (20.4 miles and Beaumont Village Hall (23 miles).
13. Take the next left turn on the B1033 to Walton (24.3 miles). Follow the road, turning left on the B1034 to Walton (25.9 miles).
14. Ride through Kirby-le-Soken and continue to the junction with All Saints Church, turning left into Walton (28.6 miles).
15. Ride through to the traffic lights at the end, here you can turn left to visit the famous Walton Naze however for this ride we turn right. Go up the hill, passing near the pier then left into Woodberry Way (29.3 miles). Follow the signs for Frinton along Rainham Way.
16. At the crossroads, turn left along Central Way. Turn left again at the end of The Leas and follow the road with the sea on your left.
17. Turn right at Connaught Avenue, in front of the largest block of flats (31 miles) then right again down the main shopping street.
18. Go over the railway crossing and turn left at the roundabout (31.6 miles).
19. Continue on this road, passing two mini roundabouts. At the third mini roundabout (32.8 miles) turn left on the B1032 to Clacton. At the next mini roundabout turn right (34 miles).
20. Keep ahead to a grass triangle, turning left onto Sladburys Lane. Follow this to a T Junction (37 miles) then turn right towards Clacton along Holland Road.
21. When you reach Vista Road (38 miles) turn left towards the seafront and at the end of the road turn right.
22. With the sea on your left head towards Clacton Pier, crossing the traffic lights and immediately turning left to join the cycle path.
23. Again with the sea on your left, follow the cycle path, passing the Martello Inn, and two Martello Towers (40 miles). Keep ahead until the No Cycling path marking (40.4 miles), turning right and then left at the junctionto ride through Jaywick.
24. Continue to Tamarisk Way (40.9 miles), turning left at the mini roundabout to join the seafront road. With thesea on your left continue to the no parking barrier, then turn left to join the promenade (41.5 miles).
25. Carry on, passing another Martello tower. When you reach The Sailor Boy and Hutleys at Seawick turn right (42 miles) and keep on the road through to St Osyth.
26. At the junction with the B1027 turn left. Take the second turning on the right (46 miles) to Great Bentley.
27. Continue over the railway crossing to the T junction by Great Bentley Green, then turn left (48.4 miles) and keep ahead for Brightlingsea. From here you can ride back to your start point in Manningtree without visiting Brightlingsea, to do so see below for the route.
28. If you are heading to Brightlingsea, turn left to go over the railway crossing (49.7 miles) and go straight on through Thorrington. At the roundabout take the B1029 to Brightlingsea (50.3 miles), this can be a busy road so please use the cycle path where available, and follow the road to the Sports Centre on your right (52 miles). If you still have the energy, we strongly recommend the few extra miles to visit Brightlingsea for some well earned refreshments.
For those wishing to use the ride to complete a circuit back to Manningtree Sports Centre:
From Great Bentley green, follow the road and turn right down an unmarked lane with trees either side. At the end of the lane turn right into School Lane and continue on the road to Frating. At the traffic lights go straight over towards Great Bromley and cross the next junction towards Ardleigh on the B1029.
On reaching the Great Bromley signs turn right along Mary Lane North and then left along Stone Road. At the end of the road turn left to ride along Hilliards Road and at the next grass triangle turn right along Spratts Lane. Continue ahead, turning right into Church Road towards Manningtree.
On reaching a memorial turn left along Bentley Road. Follow the road, turning right along Chequers Road. At the end turn left along Dead Lane and then right along Bromley Road. At the next junction turn right for Ipswich and Manningtree, continue over the mini roundabout, turning left into Colchester Road and back to Manningtree Sports Centre.
Bicycle ride around Brightlingsea, Great Bentley, Great Bromley and Lawford
Distance: 24 miles, which at a moderate pace will take between 90 minutes and 2 hours.
Route: Takes in quiet and flat Tendring country lanes, with great countryside views. The ride can be used to link to Manningtree Sports Centre for those wishing to complete a full circuit of the Tendring peninsula.
Start and finish: Brightlingsea Sports Centre, Church Road CO7 0QL. Parking is available.
1. From the sports centre car park turn right and continue towards All Saints Church (0.8 miles). Continue ahead, but use the cycle path to the left as the road narrows and can be very busy.
2. At the next roundabout (2.1 miles) turn right and then first left for Frating.
3. Go over the level crossing, turning right for Great Bentley (2.7 miles).
4. Shortly turn left (2.9 miles) down an unmarked lane with trees either side.
5. At the end of the lane turn right (3.2 miles) into School Lane and continue on the road to Frating.
6. At the traffic lights (4.4 miles) go straight over towards Great Bromley.
7. Continue ahead, at the next junction (5.4 miles) go straight over towards Ardleigh on the B1029.
8. On reaching the Great Bromley signs (6.2 miles) turn right along Mary Lane North and then left along Stone Road (6.7 miles).
9. At the end of the road turn left (7.6 miles) to ride along Hilliards Road and at the next grass triangle (8.8 miles) turn right along Spratts Lane.
10. Continue ahead, turning right into Church Road (9.3 miles) towards Manningtree. On reaching a memorial (9.7 miles) turn left along Bentley Road.
11. Follow the road, turning right (10.4 miles) along Chequers Road.
12. At the end (12 miles) turn left along Dead Lane. At the next junction (12.6 miles) turn right. From here you can continue ahead for Manningtree Sports Centre, or for this ride take the next left (12.8 miles) to continue along Grange Road.
13. On reaching the next junction (14.7 miles) turn right and then left along Waterhouse Lane (15 miles).
14. Turn left along Back Road (15.5 miles), keep ahead to the next junction (15.9 miles) and turn left into Carringtons Road.
15. Follow the road, at a large grass triangle turn right into Morebarn Road for Great Bromley (16.8 miles).
16. Turn right at the end (17.2 miles), passing Great Bromley church.
17. At the end of the road go left to pass Great Bromley school (17.5 miles) for Frating and Brightlingsea.
18. Continue ahead at the end junction (18.5 miles) for Frating.
19. Straight over at the traffic lights (19.5 miles). Turn left for Great Bentley (20.3 miles).
20. At the end junction (20.8 miles) turn right for Brightlingsea. Cross the level crossing (21.2 miles) and continue through Thorrington.
21. At the roundabout take the B1029 back to Brightlingsea. Again please use the cycle path on this busy road, to return back to the sports centre and complete the 24 mile ride.
For those wishing to use the ride to complete a circuit of the Tendring peninsula: At the end of Dead Lane
(12.6 miles) turn right to continue ahead and at the next junction turn right for Ipswich and Manningtree.
Continue over the mini roundabout to turn left into Colchester Road and back to Manningtree Sports Centre.