Book Tickets Online
AboutEpping Ongar Railway is Essex's LONGEST heritage railway and the CLOSEST TO LONDON, running from Ongar to North Weald and into Epping Forest. We also operate heritage bus services which run to the very front door of Epping's Underground Station and through the picturesque high street.
We run a fleet of former mainline steam and diesel locomotives which haul a range of period coaches between our beautifully restored period stations.
Take your seat in one of our period coaches and watch the train pass through beautiful countryside from Ongar to North Weald, from here you can catch the heritage rail shuttle which takes you through Epping Forest, where we regularly see deer and a wide range of wildlife. Spotters guides are in our Guide Book! The railway runs a heritage bus to Epping Underground station and Epping high street every day we are running, complete with an open platform on the back, and this is timed to neatly connect with our trains. Your great value ticket includes all three heritage transport experiences, with discounts available from our website.
Our buses and trains link together a number of different interesting destinations - offering a complete day out to suit all ages and interests, truly something for all the family.
Epping Ongar Railway offers you and your family the chance to step back in time to enjoy the romance of heritage travel, an inspiring day out for all ages, the chance to explore the beauty of this area and connects together a wide range of attractions in Epping Forest and its surroundings.
3 Experiences - One Great Value Ticket
Epping Ongar Railway is Essex’s longest heritage railway and the closest to London, running from Ongar to North Weald and into Epping Forest.
We run heritage buses from Epping Underground Station and High Street each day we operate trains.
- Disabled access
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Baby changing facilities
- Children welcome
- 2m distancing in place
- Advance booking essential
- Capacity limit - All services are limited to a safe maximum number to allow for social distancing
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment only
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed - Good to Go certification in place
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Deep cleaning between visitors
- Face mask essential (not provided)
- Facilities must be booked
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Hygiene screens in place
- One way system
- Online booking only
- Open now
- Outside seating
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions - In line with existing pet policy
- Queuing system
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas - Toilets and trains cleaned throughout the day
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Education/study area
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
- Guided tours for groups
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Facilities for corporate hospitality
- Free Parking
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
Map & Directions
For visitors from the East: Ongar Station is just off the High Street, parking is available in the Town Centre car parks which are free at weekends (CM5 9AB), at Ongar south (CM5 9HD) or at Zinc (CM5 0AD).
For visitors coming from the west, please park at Epping station where there is an extensive car park (CM16 4HW) and catch the 339 heritage bus which is included in your travel ticket.
Accessible by Public Transport: Epping Underground Station station is 0 miles away.