Ingatestone is a village in Essex located between Brentwood and Chelmsford. Ingatestone is situated near the former Essex Great Road (now the A12) which has been a major route between Colchester and London since Roman times.
The main feature is Ingatestone Hall - which was built in the 16th century by Sir William Petre - and the Petre family reside there to this day. The Hall largely retains its Tudor appearance following restoration carried out between 1915 and 1937 and is set in formal gardens surrounded by eleven acres of grounds.
However, the oldest building in the village is the church, St. Edmund and St. Mary, which was built during the Norman times over 900 years ago. Also, Ingatestone High Street was one of the first conservation areas to desginated in Essex in 1969.
Map & Directions
Ingatestone is accessible via the A12 and the B1002.
Public Transport Directions
Ingatestone train station has direct rail links to London Liverpool Street.