Book Tickets Online
Colchester Zoo is home to over 220 species set in 60 acres of parkland and lakes
During your visit you will see species from around the world and learn more about them! As you navigate your way around Colchester Zoo you’ll visit many different habitats; from the humid home of our Komodo Dragons to the zoo’s very own Africa plain, Kingdom of the Wild, home to white rhino, giraffes, ostrich, zebra and kudu.
Colchester Zoo also has many undercover areas so you can stay warm and dry on even the wettest of days. Walk through our 24m tunnel as sealions swim overhead or stop by the Rajang's Forest and see if you can hang for as long as an orangutan. You can also feed our rainbow lorikeets in their tropical walkthrough aviary, Australian Rainbows and discover many more fun and interactive areas!
With so much to see and do you may find you want to return throughout the year, Colchester Zoo’s Gold Pass allows you to do just that with visits for 12 months!
Book online in advance to visit Colchester Zoo and save on the cost of admission with our online discount!
Please note that prices vary according to season so please check the Colchester Zoo website for up to date prices prior to your visit and to book.
- Disabled access - Colchester Zoo does have some steep hills, we recommend following the yellow line around the zoo as a route, this avoid steep hills and uneven terrain.
- Disabled toilets - All sets of toilets around Colchester Zoo and have toilet facilities for those with disability. A registered Changing Places changing facility is also available for those with additional needs at the toilet facilities near the meerkat enclosure. This features a height adjustable changing bench, ceiling track hoist and space for more than one assistant.
- Facilities for hearing impaired - Our Entrance Kiosks and Guest Services are fitted with an induction loop hearing system. Please advise a member of staff and switch your hearing aid to T.
- Wheelchairs available - Manual wheelchair and mobility scooter hire is available – please visit the Colchester Zoo website for more information. Due to the steep hills you are allowed to use an electric scooter at your own risk however you will be required to sign a disclaimer at the zoo entrance.
Booking & Payment Details
- Cash Point
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- On-site catering - Colchester Zoo has a number of catering options throughout the zoo from full meals to light bites and snacks. Opening times can vary according to season.
- On-site light refreshments - Colchester Zoo has a number of catering options throughout the zoo from full meals to light bites and snacks. Opening times can vary according to season.
- Picnic site - Colchester Zoo has a number picnic benches and tables throughout the zoo for you to use.
- Baby changing facilities - Nappy changing facilities for males and females are provided around the zoo.
- Children welcome
- Pushchairs available
- 1m distancing in place
- 2m distancing in place
- Advance booking essential
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place - Policies depend on product and circumstance. Refund not always possible but transfers available.
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Currently closed - Closed during November Lockdown, hoping to reopen on 3rd December 2020.
- Face mask essential (not provided)
- Face masks available for visitors
- Face masks required for staff in public areas
- Facilities must be booked
- Floors clearly marked for social distancing - Pathways have social distance marker reminders throughout park.
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Interactive displays closed
- One way system
- Online booking only
- Open now
- Outside seating
- Queuing system
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Education/study area
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Facilities for corporate hospitality
- Free Parking
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs) - Although we love dogs, unfortunately we can only allow assistance dogs on site, in the interest of the welfare of our animals and general safety. Dogs that are allowed are fully trained certified Registered Assistance Dogs: Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, Guide Dogs for blind people, Disability Assistance Dogs, Medical Assistance Dogs and Seizure Alert Dogs.
- Gift shop - The Outpost Gift Shop is now fully refurbished! As you exit the Zoo through the gift shop the layout of the shop is open plan with a bright and light feel. Take in the many products on offer from soft toys and t-shirts, to beautiful sculptures and amazing gifts. PLUS our very own selection of ‘My Moments’ products which allow you to personalise a number of Colchester Zoo souvenirs, from keyrings and magnets to drinking flasks and bags! We are always refreshing our product lines with new gift ideas.
- Public toilets
- Smoking not allowed
- WiFi or internet access
- Regional Tourist Board Member
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
Map & Directions
Set your Sat Nav for CO3 0SL
How to get here by Car: Colchester Zoo is located just south of Colchester. Take the A1124 exit (Junction 26) off the main A12 following the brown elephant signs and using the new Stanway Western Bypass.
From the M25: About 40 minutes from Junction 28 of the M25 to reach the A12
From Southend: About 1 hour’s journey, 40 miles using A127 and A130 to reach the A12
From Hertfordshire: About 1 hour’s journey – 50 miles using A414 or A120 to reach the A12
From Stansted Airport: About 50 mins journey, 30 miles using A120 to reach the A12. For car hire from Stansted Airport www.budget-stansted.com
Colchester Zoo is situated on Maldon Road in Stanway.
Car parking is free and disabled car parking spaces are available close to the zoo entrance. NB Blue badges must be displayed to use the disabled parking area
If you need a lift or could provide one and would like to help the environment – why not share your car journey to the Zoo? Try these car share sites. www.essexcarshare.com and www.liftshare.org
Public Transport Directions
How to get here by Train: Colchester Main Train Station can be reached from Liverpool Street services from London within in an hour or is easily reached along the Lowestoft or Norwich networks to Ipswich and then on to Colchester. Colchester Zoo is just 10 minutes by taxi or can be reached by bus. How to get here by Bus: All bus services to Colchester Bus Station regularly connect with the number 75 for Maldon or Tiptree and Colchester Zoo.