Book Tickets Online
Home to around 180 species and set in 60 acres of parkland and lakes, Colchester Zoo hosts many different habitats, from the humid home of our Komodo Dragons to our very own Africa plain, Kingdom of the Wild, home to white rhino, giraffes, ostrich, zebra and kudu.
We also have many fantastic undercover areas, so you can stay warm and dry on even the wettest of days. Stop by the Rajang’s Forest and see if you can hang for as long as an orangutan, feed our rainbow lorikeets in their tropical walkthrough aviary, Australian Rainbows. PLUS you can also walk through areas such as Worlds Apart, the perfect place to warm up on a chilly day!
Colchester Zoo also offers a range of food and drink options so there’s no need to worry about a picnic! PLUS there are loads of gifts and treats in our Outpost Gift Shop, so you can find the perfect souvenir to remember your day! The Outpost Gift Shop is accessible without having to enter the zoo so you can even pop by for a spot of shopping or to find the perfect gift for a loved one.
Visit our website for more details: https://www.colchester-zoo.com/plan-your-visit/tickets/
- Disabled access - We have a suggested Easier Route marked with green arrows on the ground to ensure you don’t miss anything! This is aimed at those with pushchairs, mobility scooters and wheelchairs as it avoids steeper hills but not all within the zoo.
- Mobility Scooter Hire
- Wheelchairs available - We have a facility to hire a limited number of manual wheelchairs and electric scooters inside the zoo grounds next to the zoo main entrance. Please contact us at least 24hrs in advance if you would like to reserve one for your visit.
- On-site catering - Our main food and drink outlet, Penguini’s Restaurant, and Meerkat Hangout are both open every day from 9:30am. Gourmet Sausage and The Waterhole are also open daily from 10:30am. Our other food outlets may be closed on weekdays and in certain seasons, so please check with our Guest Services team as you enter the zoo for all available outlets on the day of your visit. All available outlets are subject to change and supply chains, and may close due to extreme weather conditions and unforeseen circumstances without prior notice.
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site - Colchester Zoo has a number picnic benches and tables throughout the zoo for you to use.
- Coach parking
- School Trips
- Coach parties accepted
Map & Directions
Set your Sat Nav for CO3 0SL
How to get here by Car: Colchester Zoo is located just south of Colchester. Take the A1124 exit (Junction 26) off the main A12 following the brown elephant signs and using the new Stanway Western Bypass.
From the M25: About 40 minutes from Junction 28 of the M25 to reach the A12
From Southend: About 1 hour’s journey, 40 miles using A127 and A130 to reach the A12
From Hertfordshire: About 1 hour’s journey – 50 miles using A414 or A120 to reach the A12
From Stansted Airport: About 50 mins journey, 30 miles using A120 to reach the A12. For car hire from Stansted Airport www.budget-stansted.com
Colchester Zoo is situated on Maldon Road in Stanway.
Car parking is free and disabled car parking spaces are available close to the zoo entrance. NB Blue badges must be displayed to use the disabled parking area
If you need a lift or could provide one and would like to help the environment – why not share your car journey to the Zoo? Try these car share sites. www.essexcarshare.com and www.liftshare.org
Public Transport Directions
How to get here by Train:
Colchester Main Train Station can be reached from Liverpool Street services from London within in an hour or is easily reached along the Lowestoft or Norwich networks to Ipswich and then on to Colchester. Colchester Zoo is just 10 minutes by taxi or can be reached by bus.
How to get here by Bus:
All bus services to Colchester Bus Station regularly connect with the number 75 for Maldon or Tiptree and Colchester Zoo.